[gmx-users] CNT force field and simulation

Alex nedomacho at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 21:41:43 CEST 2015

Hi Pierre,

A standard CNT/graphene parameterization in GMX doesn't currently
exist, but if you're just playing around, please follow the Andrea
Minoia's tutorial (http://www.webcitation.org/66u2xJJ3O) exactly. It
works, and there should be no errors. Make sure your initial PDB is
properly formatted. Also, you do not have to create GRO structures.
When you box your initial coordinates, you can set the output to .pdb,
which x2top and (later on) grompp will accept.

There are two issues with that tutorial:
1. The bond, angle, and dihedral constants are wrong, copied from
aromatics.
I am using constants derived from the optimized Brenner potential. For bond type
1, the constant is 420420.0 kJ/mol/nm^2. The angle constant for type 1
is 659.346 kJ/mol/rad2 (776.923 kJ/mol for type 2). Note that you
can't really obtain one constant from the other, angular functions
here for small angles are a matter of using Taylor expansion for the
original potential from solid-state physics. Finally, for
dihedrals (type 3), the constant is 17.30770 kJ/mol/rad2, so modify
Andrea's statement to:

C     C     C     C      3     17.30770   0.00000 -17.30770   0.00000   0.00000   0.00000

The types I mentioned are described in Table 5.5 of the GMX
manual. The reference for the parameters above is my own work: http://iopscience.iop.org/0957-4484/25/48/485701
These are far from perfect (mainly because GMX is a molecular
mechanics package, so bonds and angles are, well, the simplest
possible case in mechanics, i.e. springs), but with these values
they're mathematically guaranteed to reproduce the phonon
spectrum of graphene/CNTs at 0K. It may not matter for what you're
doing, but this is at least some level of rigor, because a stable
lattice isn't actually enough.

2. Make sure you set 'constraints = none' in your mdp. Constraint
algorithms generally beloved by the biophysical community will turn
your nanotubes into solid bricks.

Good luck!

Alex