[gmx-users] Number of hardware threads does not match OpenMP

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 02:15:53 CEST 2015

Hi,

The former warning is the direct consequence of the latter. Your job
scheduler or MPI launcher is setting process affinity; as a result the
OpenMP library reports 1 CPU in contrast with the 20 CPUs/cores that
our low-level detection reports. You could be loosing a considerable
amount of performance if the thread affinity you set/get is not the
correct/suitable one - my guess is that it likely is, consecutive
ranks are likely pinned to consecutive cores.

You can try either disabling the affinity setting in PBS or using some
MPI environment variable or override it with the "-pin on" mdrun
argument.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd