[gmx-users] calculating free energy

Felipe Merino felipe.merino at mpi-dortmund.mpg.de
Sun Apr 19 11:39:08 CEST 2015

Hi,

In principle, you can do umbrella sampling with the number of native
contacts as your collective variable. I remember that this was possible
with the first PLUMED and I assume it can be arranged for the new
version. If this converges or not is of course a whole different story.
I assume that a mixture with some sort of hamiltonian exchange would be
beneficial.

However, even if possible I'd be extremely cautious with the end result
since there is a lot of force field bias in this things. The fact that
they can reproduce which one is the lowest energy conformation (which is
already awesome) does not mean that they can say by how much.

Felipe