[gmx-users] g_wham error in umbrella simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Apr 20 14:17:22 CEST 2015

On 4/19/15 9:53 PM, Ming Tang wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am doing an umbrella simulation, and come across the following error.
>
> Command line:
>    g_wham -it tpr-files.dat -if pullf-files.dat -o -hist -unit kCal -b 2000
>
> Found 27 tpr and 27 pull force files in tpr-files.dat and pullf-files.dat, respectively
> Reading 13 tpr and pullf files
> Automatic determination of boundaries...

> Program g_wham, VERSION 5.0.4
> Source code file: /home/tm/Downloads/gromacs/src/gromacs/gmxana/gmx_wham.cpp, line: 1767
>
> Fatal error:
> . Should be tpr, xvg, or pdo.0.tpr

Is this a copy/paste problem or is this really what the line said?  The error
message should be "Unknown file of type (something). Should be tpr, xvg, or
pdo."  Note the "0.tpr" that is tacked on to the end and the lack of preceding
text.  Any weird line endings in your tpr-files.dat file?  Check and run
dos2unix if needed.  The presence of "0.tpr" somewhat suggests the very first
line is causing a problem, even though it appears gmx wham understands how many
files it should find; it just can't determine the right file names/types.

> tpr-files.dat:
> umbrella0.tpr
> umbrella137.tpr
> umbrella155.tpr
> umbrella163.tpr
> umbrella169.tpr
> umbrella174.tpr
> umbrella179.tpr
> umbrella185.tpr
> umbrella199.tpr
> umbrella206.tpr
> umbrella223.tpr
> umbrella239.tpr
> umbrella257.tpr
> umbrella275.tpr
> umbrella291.tpr
> umbrella308.tpr
> umbrella324.tpr
> umbrella344.tpr
> umbrella369.tpr
> umbrella383.tpr
> umbrella392.tpr
> umbrella422.tpr
> umbrella450.tpr
> umbrella463.tpr
> umbrella479.tpr
> umbrella497.tpr
> umbrella499.tpr
>
> pullf-files.dat
> pullf0.xvg
> pullf137.xvg
> pullf155.xvg
> pullf163.xvg
> pullf169.xvg
> pullf174.xvg
> pullf179.xvg
> pullf185.xvg
> pullf199.xvg
> pullf206.xvg
> pullf223.xvg
> pullf239.xvg
> pullf257.xvg
> pullf275.xvg
> pullf291.xvg
> pullf308.xvg
> pullf324.xvg
> pullf344.xvg
> pullf369.xvg
> pullf383.xvg
> pullf392.xvg
> pullf422.xvg
> pullf450.xvg
> pullf463.xvg
> pullf479.xvg
> pullf497.xvg
> pullf499.xvg
>
> I used this method several times before, and did not come across this problem. could anybody tell me where is the problem?
> Thanks

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629