[gmx-users] g_wham error in umbrella simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Apr 22 14:18:06 CEST 2015

On 4/22/15 4:46 AM, Ming Tang wrote:
> Hi, Justin
>
> Thanks a lot. Dos2unix works. There is even no blank space in every line. The
> problem is that I downloaded those .dat files from the internet, which were
> created in windows system. But I got another problem. Following your umbrella
> sampling tutorial, I got the PMF curve. The trend of the curve is quite close
> to that of the curve in the tutorial. But, the ΔG is -31, 20 more compared to
> -50.5 in the tutorial. Besides, I only get one histogram, the data of the

You won't get the value in the tutorial unless you follow the published
protocol.  The tutorial is an abbreviated version of a more complex protocol
involving (1) prior simulation of 100 ns and (2) asymmetrical window
distribution.  I believe this should be stated already in the tutorial.

> rest histograms are zero (one horizontal line). Do you have any suggestions
> for me about what's wrong with my simulation?

You're probably just not plotting the histogram file right.

xmgrace -nxy histo.xvg

to show all the histograms.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy