[gmx-users] Steered MD simulation of drug molecules across the plasma membrane in gromacs 5.0.4

Christopher Neale chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca
Wed Apr 22 16:44:05 CEST 2015

Dear Justin:

I think you are correct. It may not even really be that much of a hassle though one may need to be very careful in system setup for umbrellas near the center of the bilayer when using pull_start=yes rather than pull_coord1_init (i.e., one may need to make sure that the solute COM is on the side of the bilayer that one specifies with pull_coord1_vec, though having not used it myself perhaps this is not even an issue?). Separately, I presume that pull_coord1_init=0 should be identical with pull_coord1_vec = 0 0 1 or pull_coord1_vec = 0 0 -1, though if I was using the new code that would be something I would check at the outset.

Dear Mahender:

Based on Justin's suggestion and your initial mdp file, you should try something like the following. I'm still using gromacs 4.6.7 so I can not verify the accuracy of your other parameters (or even be entirely sure about these ones, but they are worth a try).

;; Presuming that you start with the solute at +z relative to the bilayer and want to pull toward -z
pull        = umbrella
pull_geometry    = direction
pull_dim    = N N Y
pull_coord1_vec = 0 0 1
pull_coord1_rate = -0.002
pull_start = yes

;; I presume that
;; pull_coord1_vec = 0 0 1 and pull_coord1_rate = -0.002
;; is identical to
;; pull_coord1_vec = 0 0 -1 and pull_coord1_rate = 0.002

;; I am not sure if pull_dim = N N Y is necessary, but I don't see how it could hurt.
;; Presumably the distance and the vector on which the pull_coord1_rate acts are already going to be entirely along z due to pull_coord1_vec , but I'd test that too if not using pull_dim = N N Y

Please report back whether this works or whether you get strange behaviour when you hit the bilayer center.