[gmx-users] Steered MD simulation of drug molecules across the plasma membrane in gromacs 5.0.4

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Apr 22 14:12:51 CEST 2015

On 4/21/15 6:54 AM, Christopher Neale wrote:
> Dear Mahender:
>
> It's a real pity that the pull_geometry = position has been removed. So now it's impossible to do umbrella sampling of a solute across a lipid bilayer properly? Anyway, I see a note about this removal here ( http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/1346 ), though no reason is given. I'd suggest that you revert to a more functional version of gromacs ;)
>
> Hopefully I'm missing something and somebody else can point you to a better solution.

I think the behavior can be recovered with "direction" geometry, but that
requires each half of the symmetric sampling windows to be set up separately, I
think, rather than just a continuous vector like "position" used to provide.
That's a shame if true.  It's a workaround, but it's much less convenient.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore