[gmx-users] value for epsilon_rf in a vacuum simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Apr 30 19:37:06 CEST 2015

On 4/30/15 12:34 PM, Rebeca García Fandiño wrote:
> Dear GROMACS users,
> I am trying to carry out a simulation in vacuum (or gas phase). I have doubts about the proper values for epsilon_rf. I have found examples where this value is set to 78
>

>                  http://www.shourjya.thinkbiosolution.com/md-simulation-in-gas-phasevacuum-with-gromacs/
>
> and other examples where this value is set to cero (the default value, which means infinite).
>

>                  https://extras.csc.fi/chem/courses/gmx2004/exercises/
>
> Which would be the correct value for epsilon_rf in a vacuum or gas phase simulation? What about epsilon_rf=1? Would it not be the best option?

It's totally irrelevant.  For gas phase, set all cutoffs to zero, coulombtype =
cutoff, and no PBC.  This is exactly what is done in the first link, and in that
case epsilon_rf is ignored (it is only for doing reaction-field electrostatics).

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore