[gmx-users] Supercritical CO2

Jarrett Lee Wise jwise6 at uwyo.edu
Thu Apr 30 22:04:47 CEST 2015

Hello all-

I am trying to run simulations containing supercritical CO2 and oil asphaltenes.  I have tested various force fields (TraPPE flex, TraPPe rigid, Charmm, EPM2, Cygan, and Zhang), but all of my results give either extremely low densities (~200 kg/m^3) or extremely high densities (~1600 kg/m^3) when the density should be around 630 kg/m^3.

I equilibrated a system of 5000 CO2 molecules with Nose-Hoover and Berendsen for 5 ns, then did a production run using Nose-Hoover and Parrinello-Rahman for another 5 ns using 1 fs time step.

I have found that tau_p plays an important factor.  A relaxed tau_p gives low density while a vigorous tau_p gives a high density and crashes using Parrinello-Rahman pressure coupling.

Has anyone else encountered similar problems or have any advice?

Here is a copy of my MDP file.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jarrett Wise
PhD Student
Petroleum Engineering