[gmx-users] Solvatebox from itp GAFF organic solvents and amber solute.

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Aug 5 23:40:33 CEST 2015

On 8/5/15 4:32 PM, Sharapa wrote:
> Perhaps my explanation is very confusing, while i am trying to solve at least
> three problems at the same time.
>
> 1) I would like to use equilibrated solvent from virtualchemistry, not to get
> more errors by equilibrating attempts. Seems i can use "solvate" similar to
> http://blog.sciencenet.cn/blog-365047-808554.html (where was genbox as previous
> version) (i do not need mixing solvents, i saw your hexane-water tutorial, i am
> trying to understand them all at the same time). Anyway attempts to give to
> "solvate" a itp topology, like it was done in chinease manual for top file for
> genbox fails. Seems now its separated to "include", I'll read manual about that.

Well, I can't read Chinese, so I have no idea what the tutorial is having you
do, but the basic principles are:

1. gmx solvate deals exclusively with the coordinates, -cp for the solute and
-cs for the solvent

and since solvate only automatically updates the topology in the case of water:

2. Add #include statement for solvent topology manually
3. Update the number of molecules of solvent in [system] manually

> 2) Single molecule - my solute. For which i have gaff topologies generated in
> Amber. I hope to use amb2gmx.pl to get sometopology that i can "include" after
> "insert-molecules" of my solute into the box of solvent that i describe in point 1.

It's even easier than using insert-molecules (my understanding was that you had
a co-solvent situation, which apparently is not the case):

gmx solvate -cp solute.pdb -cs solvent.pdb

This is no different than standard tutorial workflows of solvating a protein.

> 3) Usage of GAFF in a simulation. This i will try to understand if i will manage
> to prepare box with solute and solvent and some sencefull topologies.

When dealing with non-standard systems, you really have to be familiar with the
force field organization and all file formats.  A topology (.top) is just a
listing of the molecules in the system, and can mention parameters specifically
or can #include them (that just means copy and paste from another file).  For
something like what you're talking about, presumably the following skeletal .top
is basically what you need:

#include (some parent AMBER FF)
#include "solute.itp"
#include "solvent.itp"

[ system ]
something

[ molecules ]
solute  1
solvent N

where "solute" and "solvent" in [molecules] are the actual [moleculetype] names.

-Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629