[gmx-users] Fwd: Help with Gromacs 5.1 mdp options for CHARMM27 force field

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 9 16:34:17 CET 2015

On 12/8/15 10:43 PM, Rakesh Ramachandran wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
>     Thanks for the reply. I have few more doubts regarding the mdp settings
> and gmx tools related analysis.
>
> 1) What are the optimal values of tau_t and tau_p for CHARMM36. I see in
> your tutorial that it is 0.1 0.1 for tau_t and 2.0 for tau_p. The
> CHARMM-GUI generated mdp settings had 1.0 1.0 for tau_t and 5.0 for tau_p.
> So are higher values more appropriate for CHARMM36 FF and what properties
> does it effect ? Moreover during NPT equilibration is Berendsen pressure
> coupling necessary or can I use Parinello-Rahman directly.

Never use Berendsen pressure coupling during production data collection. Its
ensemble is not a true NPT ensemble. These settings are not dependent on force
field.

> 2) My protein has MG bound so is CHARMM36 FF enough or some kind of
> parameterization needs to be performed before running MD. Moreover what
> precautions or steps should I take before running MD in this case. The
> crystal structure is at pH 7.5 so is the protonation determined by pdb2gmx
> enough.

No additive force field treats divalent ions particularly well.

Do pKa calculations and set ionization states accordingly.

> 3) I want to keep crystallographic waters (lining the protein surface as
> well as the binding site) but I find that the box size increases too much
> even when I use minimum solute-box distance of 1.0 nm. So my question is
> can I use a fixed box size of 10nm for rhombic dodecahedron, since I know
> that without the crystallographic waters with (-d 1.4 nm) the size would be
> 100^3A3. Will it lead to violating the minimum image convention or is there
> a way in gromacs which can account for the crystallographic waters.

Crystal waters should not have a significant impact on box dimensions. Usually
no more than one solvation shell is present.  Decide the box size based on the
solute; not waters attached to it.  Once you start dynamics, differentiating
between crystal and bulk waters becomes largely irrelevant for anything at the
surface.

> 4) I was also confused with respect to the periodicity effects removal, So
> using trjconv is this order correct -pbc whole -> -pbc nojump -> -pbc mol
> -center -ur compact (for System). Moreover what is the preferred reference
> for analysis the md.tpr (production run input file) or the crystal
> structure.

The reference can be whatever you like.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Periodic_Boundary_Conditions#Suggested_trjconv_workflow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences