[gmx-users] Fwd: Help with Gromacs 5.1 mdp options for CHARMM27 force field

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Dec 11 15:11:12 CET 2015

On 12/11/15 8:49 AM, Rakesh Ramachandran wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
>       Thanks for the reply. Are nstlist and rlist options important for GPU
> based gromacs and Verlet cutoff ? I am using nstlist value of 40 and rlist
> of 1.2 are these appropriate for CHARMM36.

Verlet tunes both of these as needed.  rlist is automatically adjusted to never
miss interactions.  The input value is a minimum value; mdrun takes care of the
rest.

> Moreover why is force-switch a better option than other vdw-modifier
> options for CHARMM36 ?

This is the method with which the force field was parametrized.  It is
absolutely required for membrane systems.  Proteins and nucleic acids can be
debated, but unless you have a rock-solid, verified, reason to change the vdW
method, don't.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629