[gmx-users] Fwd: Help with Gromacs 5.1 mdp options for CHARMM27 force field

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Dec 13 03:11:25 CET 2015

On 12/12/15 9:08 PM, Rakesh Ramachandran wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
>     Thanks for the reply. Why is the RMSD difference reported by gmx energy
> tool so large after NPT equilibration as well as energy minimization ? I
> did not find such difference in RMSD when I superimposed the structures
> onto the crystal structure.

RMSD in this context is the standard deviation.

> *Energy Min*
>
> Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
> Potential                -1.27808e+06      45000     120456    -293146
>   (kJ/mol)

The average potential during EM is nonsense.  The purpose of EM is to
progressively reduce the forces (and thus potential).  Plot the curve; you will
see that an average is useless here.

> *NPT equil*
>
> Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
> Pressure                  -0.905575        1.8    99.0051    9.72043  (bar)

Please do some Googling for this; it comes up practically every week on this list.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Pressure

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629