[gmx-users] Semiisotropic pressure coupling

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Feb 13 15:39:44 CET 2015

On 2/12/15 10:34 PM, shivangi nangia wrote:

>> Dear Justin,
>>

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The link you have mentioned says the parameters are for GROMACS 5.0
>
> I am using an older version, 4.6.1
>
> Is there another link/suggestions for that version.
>
> Sorry, I forgot to mention.
>
> On trying to use those parameters with my version of GROMACS, I get the
> error:
>
> ERROR 1 [file md.mdp, line 78]:
>    Invalid enum 'force-switch' for variable vdw-modifier, using
>    'Potential-shift-Verlet'
>    Next time use one of: 'Potential-shift-Verlet' 'Potential-shift' 'None'
>    'Potential-switch' 'Exact-cutoff'
>

> The mdp options manual says:
>
> *Force-switch*Smoothly switches the forces to zero between *rvdw-switch*
>   and *rvdw*. This shifts the potential shift over the whole range and
> switches it to zero at the cut-off. Note that this is more expensive to
> calculate than a plain cut-off and it is not required for energy
> conservation, since *Potential-shift* conserves energy just as well
>
> Can I use Potential-shift instead of my version?

No.  Read the description of Potential-shift: "Note that this does not affect
the forces or the sampling."  Force-switching is required for proper use of the
lipid force field.  The old "vdwtype = shift" with the group cutoff scheme
should do the same thing as force-switch, but we haven't tested it explicitly.
What i know for sure is that CHARMM's vfswitch and GROMACS' "vdw-modifier =
force-switch" produce identical forces, hence the strong recommendation.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore