[gmx-users] LJ-14 energy

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 15 15:36:05 CEST 2015

On 7/15/15 5:27 AM, Ming Tang wrote:
> Dear Gromacs experts,
>
> I am confused about the meaning of LJ-14 option in g_energy. I checked the achieve, and found that Justin said it stands for intramolecular interactions between atoms separated by 3 bonds. My simulation is protein solvated in water. How can I calculate the Lennard-Jones potential energy of the whole system?
> I found that if I set 2 energy groups and rerun, there will be options like LJ-14: protein-ions. So, how does Gromacs calculate those energy?

Intermolecular LJ-14 are by definition zero and actually do not correspond to
anything real, anyway.  Just a quirk of the decomposition of nonbonded terms in
the code.

> Another problem I came across is the LJ-14 I got is weird.  The Coulomb-14 energy decrease from 5e4 to 3.8e4, but LJ-14 energy decrease from -400 to -700 and then increase to- 400, followed by a linear decline to -1700. The LJ-14 should increase, am I right?

Depends on what's happening.  There's no reason to think that any energy term
will inherently show any trend, but the outcome reflects whatever is happening
in the dynamics.

> Here is part of my .mdp
>
> cutoff-scheme    =  verlet
> ns_type          =  grid
> coulombtype      =  reaction-field
> coulomb-modifier =  potential-shift
> rcoulomb-switch  =  0.8
> rcoulomb         =  1.4
> epsilon_rf       =  61
> vdwtype          =  cut-off
> vdw-modifier     =  force-switch
> rvdw-switch      =  0.8
> rvdw             =  1.4
>
> To find out the reason, I checked the manual. It says for vdwtype = switch or vdw-modifier = Potential - switch, rlist should be 0.1 - 0.3 larger than rvdw. As I did not set verlet-buffer-tolerance = -1, gromcas set rlist =1 for the simulation automatically, which is not 0.1 - 0.3 larger than rvdw. Is this the reason of the weird LJ-14?

I think you're mis-reading the manual.  If you set verlet-buffer-tolerance = -1,
whatever value of rlist you specify (which you haven't shown, so it defaults to
1) is used.  You say you did *not* set verlet-buffer-tolerance explicitly, so it
defaults to a value of 0.005 and rlist is tuned as needed.  The .log file will
have information as to what rlist was used.

> Another question is, is vdw-modifier = force switch more accurate than vdw-modifier = potential - shift?

The method used depends on what the force field needs.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore