[gmx-users] high temperature

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 2 16:35:42 CET 2015

On 3/2/15 10:33 AM, mah maz wrote:
> Dear Justin,
> Thank you very much for your answer. Cutoffs are not set by exact studies
> and as you said they are arbitrary. Actually I don't know how to choose
> them for my system. I have CNT in water not vacuo. I tried
> rvdw=rcoulomb=rlist=0 but temperatures are still high. I studied the manual
> but don't know how to set them. Have you got any ideas to help?

If you have a CNT in water, you have several serious problems.

1. The cutoffs.  You need to know what values are used in the force field
parametrization.

2. A plain cutoff for electrostatics will lead to massive artifacts and heating.
  I suspect this is a main contributor to your problem.

3. Your tc-grps only specify the CNT, which means the water is not coupled to a
thermostat!  Coupled with the cutoff artifacts, your water is just accumulating
heat.

Study some basic tutorials for fundamental "normal" settings.

-Justin

> thanks!
> Cheers
>
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 8:55 PM, mah maz <mahmaz71 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear Chaban,
>>
>> Thank you very much. Could you please explain more about the problem and
>> how I may fix it?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 11:16 AM, mah maz <mahmaz71 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I have a CNT system. I have set the mdp file as follows, but the
>>> temperature output is logically more than what I expected even in the
>>> production step(around 500k). I have changed the mdp file several times but
>>> it doesn't work. What are the possible causes of problem?
>>> Thank you!
>>> dt                  =  0.0001
>>> tinit               =  0
>>> nsteps              =  2000000