[gmx-users] GROMACS and CNT/graphene (probably for the 1000th time)

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 23 04:06:19 CET 2015

On 3/22/15 12:50 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm sure you've seen this many times before, but I think it might help
> those who have never done this before, are new to Gromacs, or, like
> me, haven't done anything relatively advanced with it in a while.
>
> So, here goes. My intermediate goal here was a solvated sheet of
> graphene, so I followed http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Carbon_Nanotube
> under "Andrea Minoia's tutorial" pretty much to the word (there is a link
> with the exact file content). Everything prior to solvating the system
> worked without a hitch. To solvate the system, I used genbox, making
> it also update the topology file (created with g_x2top). This is when
> grompp started screaming about "defaults" duplicates, and, as I tried
> removing the #include to cnt_oplsaa.ff/forcefield.itp from the
> topology file and just put all parameters explicitly in there, there was a bunch of other problems.
> Without going into detail of the latter, I don't think I know what I am doing at this
> point.
>
> Can you please help with this task in a simple & robust step-by-step way?
> In fact, I'd like to write up an updated tutorial
> based on our discussion, because, among other things,
> Andrea's parameters are taken from oplsaa on aromatics, which can and
> should be further refined. All input is greatly appreciated and I'd
> especially love to hear from the Gromacs superhero Justin Lemkul. :)

At a conference, so time is limited.  Provide every step of what you did and any
problem you encountered.  Generating the topology is the hard part; if that was
generated successfully, there (in principle) shouldn't be issues.  I don't do
CNT simulations and don't follow those tutorials so I don't know how well they
are expected to work.  The .n2t file for such species should be trivial to
create, and if it's derived from OPLS-AA, everything should be very straightforward.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore