[gmx-users] GROMACS and CNT/graphene (probably for the 1000th time)

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 23 14:51:03 CET 2015

On 3/22/15 10:33 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Thanks for your suggestion. Just before we try this: the point of what I am
> doing is _not_ making CNT/graphene simply "run" in solvent, I know it can be
> done. I specifically want to reparameterize the bond, angle, and the dihedral
> constants with something that I know to be at least somewhat representative of
> graphene and isn't something from oplsaa, which comes from an entirely different
> paradigm. The Andrea Minoia's tutorial actually allows that level of flexibility.
>

> What I understand from your suggestion is that nb parameters will be set, while
> all bonded parameters will be inherited from oplsaa. I am not interested in
> that. Can it be extended toward actually specifying the bond, angle, and
> dihedral energy constants, as well as their types?
>

> For instance, I am comfortable with the bond type 1, angle type 2 (G96) and
> dihedral type #3 (Ryckaert-Bellemans), and I have exact constant values so that
> the experimental phonon spectrum of graphene is reproduced relatively closely.
> It may not matter much in a biomolecular simulation, but this level of
> flexibility should be available.
>

> Any thoughts?

For this, the cleanest approach is to create a custom force field, and its
contents should be rather simple - bonded and nonbonded parameters for some C
type (for the CNT) and whatever solvent type(s) you need.  It's actually a very
bare-bones force field.  The proposal before about using values from OPLS-AA is
a good guide; these are the things you need to define.  In reality, this could
all be in one file:

[ defaults ]
...whatever...

[ atomtypes ]
...whatever...

[ nonbond_params ]
(if needed)

[ bondtypes ], [ angletypes ], [ dihedraltypes ], ...

Then create the .n2t file for creating the CNT.  That part is the easiest of all
of it since everything is (should be) equally spaced. :)

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore