[gmx-users] GROMACS and CNT/graphene (probably for the 1000th time)

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 24 02:03:30 CET 2015

On 3/23/15 11:24 AM, Alex wrote:
> Hey Justin,
>
> Thanks. I am not entirely sure I understand your suggestion, because
> this will clearly work if nothing else is added to the system (it
> seems to be equivalent to that CNT guide). The problems start after I add
> water, i.e. "duplicate [ defaults ]" from grompp and such. In the meantime, I will
> try the earlier suggestion and add the bonded definitions on top of
> what was suggested.

If you're introducing a new [defaults] directive, then whatever you're doing is
breaking the required force field format.  Chapter 5 is your best friend here.
You say you want some custom parameters and that you're having issues with
implementing new parameter into existing force fields, so I'm telling you that
the best approach (in my mind) is to do something simple.  Something that you
can write in a few lines (for a CNT you have a single C type and I can count the
bonded parameters on one hand).  Make sure that works.  Then worry about making
it more complicated.  But at that point, you're just adding more [atomtypes] and
[bond|angle|dihedraltypes], nothing more.  You only ever have one [defaults] -
these are the master instructions for the shape of the functional form and how
the force field is interpreted.

Canary in the mineshaft - get the CNT working alone.  Make sure you understand
everything about that.  Because at that point, you've done most of the hard work
and everything is just an addition to it.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore