[gmx-users] Topology for Cross linked polymer chains

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 25 23:18:59 CET 2015

On 3/25/15 2:13 PM, sridhar dwadasi wrote:
> Dear Gromacs Users,
>                                 I have started to use Gromacs recently to
> simulate certain properties of polymer hydrogels. I have taken Poly Vinyl
> Alcohol cross linked with Glutaraldehyde as my system. In this system, I
> have taken two long chains of polymers and cross linked them using
> glutaraldehyde and obtained coordinate file (from Materials Studio) for the
> same.
>                   Currently I am trying to create rtp entries, to create
> topology using pdb2gmx. As the polymer chains are cross linked, I am trying
> to use special bonds file. For this I am defining the cross link structures
> between the two polymer chains as a separate residue and am trying to add
> the bonds between the polymer chains and cross linkers as special bonds (As
> I understood from the manual).
>                    It would be really helpful for me to if anyone can share
> their thoughts/experience on creating topology for crosslinked polymer
> networks. Is the approach mentioned above correct?
>                    Is there any better way to generate topology for such
> systems ?

g_x2top is probably better suited for non-linear species.  In principle,
probably anything could be done with .rtp + specbond.dat, but it depends on the
total complexity whether or not it is feasible.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore