[gmx-users] question about g_sas: dgSolv

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Sep 1 04:14:38 CEST 2015

On 8/31/15 10:29 AM, ANTHONY C MANSON wrote:
> Hello:
> In the tool g_sas, what are the units of the dgSolv value that is output.  The
> plot in which they occur says that the units are nm squared (seems strange to
> me).  If this is true, how can one convert (ie. what is the conversion factor?)
> the values to KJ/mol, or is this already done implicitly in the tool?
> The code for gms_sas.c makes the query:
>        if (!gmx_atomprop_query(aps,epropDGsol,
> *(atoms->resinfo[atoms->atom[ii].resind].name),
> *(atoms->atomtype[ii]),&(dgs_factor[i])))
> and returns the factor to multiply the SASA for atom i in dgs_factor[i].  Where
> in the force-field data is this number defined and what are its units?

The data file is dgsolv.dat in $GMXLIB.  The units provided there are
kcal/mol-A^2, thus converted easily to energy from SASA.  Not sure how much I
trust the values, myself.  It seems the outcome can vary quite a lot depending
on whose values you use...

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629