[gmx-users] demux.pl input file

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Sep 2 14:38:27 CEST 2015

On 9/2/15 8:33 AM, Nawel Mele wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Thank you for your answer,
>
> So from the REMD simulation we get different output files:
> - .trr : trajectory file
> - .edr : energy file
> - .cpt: checkpoint used in case of crash
> - .log
>
> I am not use to perform REMD with gromacs so I am not sure which files do I
> need to concatenated to obtain my xvg trajectory. I assume is .trr because
> it is the trajectory file, but because it is a binary file I am not sure.

You should spend some time reading the manual and doing some tutorials.

An .xvg is not a trajectory; it is a plain text data format.  If you have
multiple intervals of time, you need to concatenate the .log files to process
via demux.pl - to provide you the information you (might) need, you have to have
information about the whole trajectory.

> If I well understand you I don't need to use demux.pl to extract for
> example angle of my simulation at a certain temperature but using

Correct.

> replica_temp.xvg file from the demux.pl file to evaluate if the lowest
> temperature go through all temperature space is incorrect ??  Should I

Correct.

> create my own script with the *_0.log file to follow the temperature
> trajectory through temperature space?

I don't know why you think you need your own script; this is exactly what
demux.pl is for.

In any case, properly invoking demux.pl depends on how you did the run.  If you
ran everything in one interval, just:

demux.pl md_0.log

If you ran in multiple intervals:

cat *_0.log > all.log (assuming you have md_0.log, md1_0.log, etc or some such
convention)
perl demux.pl all.log

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy