[gmx-users] demux.pl input file

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Sep 2 15:09:17 CEST 2015

On 9/2/15 8:48 AM, Nawel Mele wrote:

>> On 9/2/15 8:33 AM, Nawel Mele wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Justin,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your answer,
>>>
>>> So from the REMD simulation we get different output files:
>>> - .trr : trajectory file
>>> - .edr : energy file
>>> - .cpt: checkpoint used in case of crash
>>> - .log
>>>
>>> I am not use to perform REMD with gromacs so I am not sure which files do
>>> need to concatenated to obtain my xvg trajectory. I assume is .trr because
>>> it is the trajectory file, but because it is a binary file I am not sure.
>>>

>> You should spend some time reading the manual and doing some tutorials.
>>
>> An .xvg is not a trajectory; it is a plain text data format.  If you have
>> multiple intervals of time, you need to concatenate the .log files to
>> process via demux.pl - to provide you the information you (might) need,
>> you have to have information about the whole trajectory.
>>

>> If I well understand you I don't need to use demux.pl to extract for
>>> example angle of my simulation at a certain temperature but using
>>>

>> Correct.
>>
>> replica_temp.xvg file from the demux.pl file to evaluate if the lowest
>>> temperature go through all temperature space is incorrect ??  Should I
>>>

>> Correct.
>>
>> create my own script with the *_0.log file to follow the temperature
>>> trajectory through temperature space?
>>>

>> I don't know why you think you need your own script; this is exactly what
>> demux.pl is for.
>>
>> In any case, properly invoking demux.pl depends on how you did the run.
>> If you ran everything in one interval, just:
>>
>> demux.pl md_0.log
>>
>> If you ran in multiple intervals:
>>
>> cat *_0.log > all.log (assuming you have md_0.log, md1_0.log, etc or some
>> such convention)
>> perl demux.pl all.log
>>

> I am use to perform simulation and specially REMD simulation with Amber
> software. But in Amber, exchanges in temperature space are accomplished by
> swapping temperature so a post processing is required to extract
> temperature trajectory. That's why I am a bit confused with Gromacs REMD. I
> know It must seems that I make you repeat but just to be sure, because I
> have multiple run I need to concatenate my .log files and then use this
> file into demux.pl to obtain information about the whole trajectory?? And
> from that I can do any kind of analysis I want??

Let's clear something up and make sure there is no misunderstanding.  When I say
"multiple runs" I am not simply referring to the fact that there are multiple
simulations going on in REMD.  That's obviously going on.  What I mean is this:
demux.pl processes a .log file and tells you when exchanges happen.  So you need
one .log file.  If you have split your procedure into multiple *intervals of
time* you will have multiple runs per replica, in which case you need to
concatenate the .log files *of one replica* to pass to demux.pl; if you did
everything in one shot there is no need for anything fancy and you just run
demux.pl on one .log file.

I hope this is clear.

-Justin

> Many thanks