[gmx-users] Adding urea molecules to lysozyme simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Sep 2 22:20:04 CEST 2015

On 9/2/15 4:04 PM, Martin Nors Pedersen wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have completed the very nice tutorial for lyzosyme available here:
> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/lysozyme/index.html
>

> As I am working with unfolding, I would like to try simulate the unfolding by
> adding urea. I have made a urea.gro file (lifting the coordinates from 3va7.pdb)
> and wanted to use the gmx insert-molecules command to insert 300 copies of it.
> my procedure was the following:
>
> convert pdb file to gro file using gmx pdb2gro, selecting OPLS/AA force field
> and the tip4p water model
> create a box using: gmx editconf -f lys.gro -o lysBox.gro -c -d 1.0 -bt cubic
> solvate using: gmx solvate -cp lysBox.gro -cs spc216.gro -o lysSolv.gro -p
> topol.top
> add the urea molecules: grm insert-molecules -f lysSolv.gro  -ci urea.gro -nmol
> 300 -o lysUrea.gro
>
> this gives me the error message:
> Table routines are used for coulomb: FALSE
>
> Table routines are used for vdw:     FALSE
>
> Cut-off's:   NS: 0.3078   Coulomb: 0.3078   LJ: 0.3078
>
> System total charge: 0.000
>
> Potential shift: LJ r^-12: 0.000e+00 r^-6: 0.000e+00, Coulomb 0e+00
>

> Grid: 23 x 23 x 23 cells
>
> nri = 33186, nrj = 209128
>
> Try 1143box_margin = 0.2907erlap:
>
> Neighborsearching with a cut-off of 0.3078
>

> NOTE: This file uses the deprecated 'group' cutoff_scheme. This will be
>
> removed in a future release when 'verlet' supports all interaction forms.
>

> NOTE: This file uses the deprecated 'group' cutoff_scheme. This will be
>
> removed in a future release when 'verlet' supports all interaction forms.
>
> The same is the case if the urea is attempted added to lysBox.gro instead of
> lysSolv (so to the box with lyzosyme before I have added solvent).
>
> Can anyone give me any help with what my problem is? I guess one problem could
> be if I ask gromacs to insert urea, where another molecule is already
> positioned. Ideally, I would like to replace some water molecules with urea, but
> I am not sure how to do that.

None of the above is an error.  You should be adding the urea before water;
trying to do it afterwards won't work due to lack of available space.  There is
no mechanism currently to replace waters with other polyatomic species.  See:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Mixed_Solvents

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629