[gmx-users] No error but no of lipids are different in confout.gro and system_inflate.gro

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Sep 3 14:10:19 CEST 2015

On 9/3/15 7:56 AM, muhammad tahir ayub wrote:
> Dear Gromacs experts
>
> I am running membrane tutorial KALP15 in DPPC
> I have run the command
>
> mdrun -v -s em.tpr
>
> by which confout.gro was created which contained 128 DPPC moleucles inspite
> of changing the cutoff values in the minim.mdp md.log and mdout from 1.2 to
> 0
> rlist            1.2 to 0
> rvdw          1.2 to 0
> rcoloumb   1.2 to 0

Don't do this.  The cutoffs affect the physics; the only "cutoff" you should be
changing here in the context of this procedure is the one used by InflateGRO for
determining atomic overlap.

> I have also changed the cutoff values of only minim.mdp file
> but the result was confout.gro with 128 DPPC molecules, the
> system_inflate.gro file contains the 126 DPPC molecules
>
> when running the following command
>
> perl inflategro.pl confout.gro 0.95 DPPC 0 system_shrink1.gro 5 area_shrink1.dat
>
> system_shrink1.gro contained 128 DPPC molecues

Then you've confused your file names by relying on default names.  If you
initially inflated the system and got 126 DPPC (which is correct) there is no
way that they magically get added back.

-Justin

> Area per protein: 0 nm^2
> Area per lipid: 0.583197761890625 nm^2
>
> Area per protein, upper half: 0 nm^2
> Area per lipid, upper leaflet : 0.583197761890625 nm^2
>
> Area per protein, lower half: 0 nm^2
> Area per lipid, lower leaflet : 0.583197761890625 nm^2
>
> I don't know where i am making problem
> Today complete day was served to get rid of this problem but this problem
> was not solved
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> *Muhammad Tahir*
> *Ayub*