[gmx-users] miscelle formation using ligands only

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Sep 13 15:13:51 CEST 2015

On 9/13/15 3:47 AM, Chetan Puri wrote:
> So it means that my topology file should not contain any heading such as
> bonds, atoms, dihedral, and should only contain #include drug.itp of
> various molecules with system name and number of various molecules.

That's likely the best route, though you can approach it a number of ways.  For
a system that is simply a mixture of small molecules, I think this is the
cleanest approach, though.

> Can I just make a box of water.pdb using packmol and use pdb2gmx to
> generategenerate a topology with oplsa.ff and include drug.itp files in
> that topology file.

You can, but it's really trivial to do yourself without pdb2gmx:

#include "oplsaa.ff/forcefield.itp"
#include "oplsaa.ff/tip3p.itp"

[ system ]
water

[ molecules ]
SOL	X

where X is the number of molecules you have. That's all there is to it.

-Justin

> On Sunday, September 13, 2015, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>

>> On 9/11/15 11:59 PM, Chetan Puri wrote:
>>>
>>> I am using gromacs for the first time . I have installed gromacs 5.0.4
>>> version and i want to check a miscelle is formed or not using 5 different
>>>    ligands in different ratios. I have gone through all basic tutorials on
>>> how to use gromacs ( lysosyme,protein-ligand).
>>>
>>> But i am stuck with the problem of having ligands only for simulation due
>>> to no force field and topology file.
>>>                         I have tried to use packmol to pack a cubic box
> with
>>> all my different ligands in different ratios and generated a pdb file but
>>> without making a topology file i am stuck.
>>>             So if some one can suggest some possible ways  of doing it
> and i
>>> don't have much computational background of manipulating various file
>>> extensions of gromacs.
>>>

>> The only difference here is that you probably aren't going to be using
> pdb2gmx, so your topology will be one of your own creation.  In practice,
> the .top is probably just going to amount to a series of #include
> statements for the topologies of the various molecules you want to study.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy