[gmx-users] Problem with gmx-distance

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Sep 16 16:00:48 CEST 2015

On 9/16/15 9:06 AM, Timofey Tyugashev wrote:
> I want to get the distance between atoms 3770 and 5182 in my trajectory
> After consulting with the Manual I write command:
> gmx distance -n ind2.ndx -f trj1_WT_md_40.xtc -s wt_md.gro -oav distav.xvg -oall
> dist.xvg
> and index file ind2.ndx:
> [ LYS_241_ODG_C1' ]
> 3770 5182
>
> The program responds like this:
>
> Available static index groups:
>   Group  0 "LYS_241_ODG_C1'" (2 atoms)
> Specify any number of selections for option 'select'
> (Position pairs to calculate distances for):
>
> If I pick 0, it responds 'Selection '0' parsed' and then nothing happens.
> What to do next? The manual is incredibly murky and there are no examples in the
> net.

Your atoms can't be in the same group.  That was the same as with g_dist.

[ atom1 ]
3770
[ atom2 ]
5182

gmx distance -n -f -s -oav -oall -select 'com of group "atom1" plus com of group
"atom2"'

See "gmx help selections" and specifically "gmx help selections examples" for
syntax of selections and a few simple examples.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore