[gmx-users] addition of hydronium ion in simulation box

André Farias de Moura moura at ufscar.br
Tue Sep 22 04:53:26 CEST 2015

for instance, take a look at this reference by Michele Parrinello to see
some general remarks on how you should proceed if you really want to
describe the dynamics of protons within a water channel:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v392/n6673/full/392258a0.html

we have already done some simplified simulation for teaching purposes,
placing a single H3O+ within a water nanodroplet with a few tens of
(neutral) water molecules, and then performing a short molecular dynamics
simulation with the semiempirical method MSINDO. the original H3O+ looses
one of its identical H atoms, which becomes attached to a neighboring H2O
molecule, which now has 3 identical H atoms, and then looses one of them to
another neighboring H2O molecule and so on.

I'm still testing it, but DFTB should do the trick as well.

--