[gmx-users] addition of hydronium ion in simulation box

Groenhof, Gerrit ggroenh at gwdg.de
Tue Sep 22 07:59:32 CEST 2015

Hi,

> Hello justin,
>
> Thanks, actually I want to study movement of protons along the lenght of a
> water channel.
>

> What you need is constant-pH MD, which is not natively supported in GROMACS.

What Justin says. There is only a 3.3 version that currently supports this, which is available at:

http://www.mpibpc.mpg.de/grubmueller/constpH

In addition, if you're interested in proton transfer between waters only, HYDYN may be an option for you:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jcc.23536/suppinfo

However, from what you describe I assume that protein side chains may be involved as well in proton uptake/donation, but we have not yet extended HYDYN to include amino acids unfortunately.

Concerning the suggestion by Andre to use DFTB, there is a recent implementation in Gromacs by Tomas Kubar:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jcc.24029/abstract

Good luck,

Gerrit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences