[gmx-users] bonded forces in output

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Sep 26 18:02:59 CEST 2015

On 9/26/15 5:31 AM, Stanislav Šimko wrote:
> Dear gromacs users,
> I'm writing my code to calculate pressure from trajectory files - from
> problthat em atomic positions and forces - according to virial theorem.
> Currently, I'm able to calculate the same pressure when I've got only
> non-bonded forces of a small system (10 atoms with charges and LJ
> parameters) centered in a big (100nm cubic) box. Hopefully, my code
> should work also for smaller box where atoms can see periodic images.
> The problem that I'm facing right now is that I do not know how to
> obtain bonded forces from the trajectory files. E.g., for single spc
> water molecule gromacs gives zero forces on all atoms, even though I
> assigned them different velocities.
> 	to obtain forces I run:
> 	gmx traj -f *.trr -s *.tpr -of forces -fp
>   Also, gromacs gives me non-zero virial (diagonal elements XX, YY, ZZ),
> which means that there are some forces
> 	gmx energy -f *.edr -s *.tpr ...
> So I would like to ask, if there is some way how to get bonded forces
> out of the trajectory... (or rerun with some runtime parameters to
> force gromacs to print bonded forces)

By default, water is treated as rigid via SETTLE, so there are no bonded forces.
  You can turn this off with "define = -DFLEXIBLE" in the .mdp file for the
purpose of do a re-calculation of energies and forces.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore