[gmx-users] gmx distance lipid bilayer

Repic Matej matej.repic at epfl.ch
Wed Sep 30 18:23:59 CEST 2015

As said, you are not measuring what you presumably want. As I understand,
you should be measuring the distance between the com of P atoms from the
same _monolayer_ and the com of all lipids (or all P atoms of the
bilayer). This way, the first com will be in the middle of the plane
formed by the P atoms in one monolayer, and the other com will be in the
middle of the plane at the interface between top and bottom bilayers. This
distance should be similar to the length of the acyl chain.

It is customary to measure the membrane thickness in lipid simulations as
P-P distance, so I suggest you make top and bottom P groups in a ndx file
and measure the distance between the two centers of mass. This value can
also be compared to experiment to validate the simulation.

Best,

Dr. Matej Repic
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
Laboratory of Computational Chemistry and Biochemistry
SB - ISIC ­ LCBC
BCH 4108
CH - 1015 Lausanne

On 9/30/15, 17:20, "gromacs.org_gmx-users-bounces at maillist.sys.kth.se on