[gmx-users] is it necessary to mdrun posre_npt.mdp first and then posre_nvt.mdp

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 07:48:22 CEST 2016

No, what Mark means is that if you equilibrated temperature AND pressure
(NpT) there's no point in an NVT step, in which the pressure may go off
again, even though it's unlikely to matter much, because the volume is
already within proper range.

However, there's the 'posre' part still, which suggests that the
equilibrations were run with position restraints. Before production, there
should be some equilibration without these.

In the end, in this case it doesn't matter much. If the production
simulation runs, it runs. Do take care to cut off enough of the first part
to account for long term relaxation effects.

I think the biggest concern is that the worry suggests a lack of insight in
the process and theory of MD. Please do follow Marks advise and run through
a number of tutorials.

Cheers,

Tsjerk