[gmx-users] REMD of IDPs

Smith, Micholas D. smithmd at ornl.gov
Fri Apr 8 14:10:17 CEST 2016

Dear Yanhua,

Converting a sequence into a structure is itself an "open" problem in computational biology/biophysics. There are ways to generate potential structures if you also happen to have some restraints from NMR or other experiments (small-angle scattering or CD-Spectra) noted in the literature, but getting to the "native" fold is very challenging. One program that tries to address the sequence to structure problem is Rosetta ( http://robetta.bakerlab.org/ ).

If you have a short IDP fragment (less than 20 residues), one thing you can do it use something like Schrodinger's Maestro program (its free from their webpage www.schrodinger.com) and use the molecule builder to "grow" the chain as a random coil (random phi-psi placement), save the PDB from it and then run MD at high temp to relax the structure into a potential starting structure. If it is longer, the IDP may have small structural segments (the chain is dominated by disorder but may have short-lived, meta-stable, secondary structure regions) in which case you can either try to build the molecule with a corresponding secondary structure distribution (using Maestro) or try using Rosetta and refine with energy minimization.

Good Luck!

Micholas Dean Smith, PhD.
Post-doctoral Research Associate
University of Tennessee/Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Center for Molecular Biophysics