[gmx-users] Question for Gromacs Users

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Apr 12 20:43:29 CEST 2016

On 4/12/16 2:22 PM, Brier, Troy wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>
> I am attempting to run a single protein in water Martini coarse grain
> simulation. I used martinize.py (version 2.4) to coarse grain the
> protein and add a dilsulfide bond. When attempting to run the
> minimization phase (I am using Gromacs version 5.1) I receive the
> following error:
>
> Fatal error:
> Incorrect number of parameters - found 1, expected 2 or 4 for Bond.For
> more information and tips for troubleshooting, please check the
> GROMACS website at http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors
>
> After troubleshooting I determined the error came from the Bonds
> section in the Protein_A.itp file produced from martinize.py, and
> specifically from the section having to do with the disulfide bonds.
> The error seems to be related to martinize.py determining the bond
> constraints of the disulfide bone to not match those of the literature
> values, and the script prints the following message:
>
> Note: Cysteine bonds are 0.24 nm constraints, instead of the published
> 0.39nm/5000kJ/mol.
>
> So I changed the section in the Protein_A.itp file from:
>
> (Error Causing  Protein_A.itp file under [bonds])
> ; Links/Cystine bridges
>    253   281      1   0.24000
>
> to:
>
>   (Error Causing  Protein_A.itp file under [bonds])
> ; Links/Cystine bridges
>    253   281      1   0.39000 5000
>

> and then the minimization step runs without the fatal error. What I
> would like to know if making this change is the proper thing to do or
> should I keep the constraint distance at 0.24 nm and just add in the
> bond strength of 5000 kJ/mol?

The wording of the error message states that it's supposed to be a constraint
(i.e. fixed distance), not a harmonic interaction.  So if it's a constraint,
it's simply being written to the wrong section of the topology.  It may be
better to post this question to the MARTINI forum.  A difference between a rigid
0.24 nm distance and a harmonic 0.39 nm distance is quite substantial.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore