[gmx-users] further on: very strange phenomenon for my production MD by gromacs

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 15:30:24 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 3:18 PM Brett <brettliu123 at 163.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> By xmgrace I have checked the xmgrace, I find the spike was between
> -8.245e+06 and -8.225e+06, is the spike massive or not?
>

> In addition, by
> gmx trjconv -f ma_0_1.trr -s md_0_1.tpr -o 6000pswithwater.pdb --pbc
> nojump -dump 6000,
>

> I got the 6 ns with water pdb and I have checked the pdb (with water box),
> I find the resi 366-367 were not disconnected!
>

> However, by gmx editconf, the original water box was in cubic, after "gmx
> trjconv -f ma_0_1.trr -s md_0_1.tpr -o 6000pswithwater.pdb --pbc nojump
> -dump 6000", the cubic water box was replaced by a rough sphere water box
> with the protein roughly in the center. Will you please explain why the
> cubic water box was replaced by the round sphere water box? Anything wrong
> I have made?

You've simulated a bunch of molecules that diffuse. What shape would you
expect for the envelope of the diffusion? How would it vary over time?

Further, by visual check if in a production MD I did not see residue
> disconnection caused by "Periodic_Boundary_Conditions", can we guarantee no
> minor disconnection occurred during the md (or significant bond length
> variance unobservable by the naked eye with pymol) if we did not process
> the trjconv correction step?

The forces produced by such a disconnection would blow everything up
immediately. Since it didn't...

Mark