[gmx-users] SETTLE vs. LINCS -- different final energies of energy minimized structures

Rakesh Sharan rs11chembhu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 16:31:40 CEST 2016

Thanks very much Justin.

Actually I am minimization a series of configurations from an equilibrated
trajectory of bulk TIP4P/2005 (LINCS used as constraint algorithm). I need
the final energy of the energy minimized structures, however, you can see
that depending on the choice of constrained algorithm, for few
configurations, the final energy is different (e. g. for the attached plot
-29146 and -29288 kj/mol). Actually, both are following same minimization
trajectory, however, one is finishing before other. This is bit troubling
as depending on the choice of constraint algorithm average final energy is
different even though initial starting configuration is exactly same. I
rechecked topology files and they look same apart from constraint
specifications.

I would very much appreciate your view over the plausible origin of this
discrepancy. Also, I am wondering whether in both the cases one is doing
truly constrained minimization.

Best,
Rakesh

Rakesh S. Singh, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate,
Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering,
Princeton University,
Princeton, NJ 08544 (US).