[gmx-users] Molecule not minimized and NVT failure

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Apr 18 18:06:47 CEST 2016

On 4/18/16 12:02 PM, suniba wrote:

> Hello users I am doing protein-ligand MD using Gromos 43A1 and GROMACS 5.0.
> Therefore, following Justin's tutorial, I used PRODRG for ligand topolgy. I

After doing my tutorial, you should *not* be using PRODRG for topologies, for
the reasons mentioned in that very tutorial.

> have drawn ligand using chemdraw and minimized the structure using chem3D.
> However, during energy minimization step in gromacs, the values converge
> earlier after 490 steps of minimization. This means that structure is not
> energy minimized properly. Also, during NVT, it crashes very early giving a

The number of steps has nothing to do with whether or not EM was effective.

> LINCS warning which is posted frequently in mailing list and the 'water'
> molecule not settled error. I have gone through all the solutions and
> according to my knowledge, the problem is with minimization. I am confused
> now how to minimize the structure properly to avoid the error. The long bond
> warning might also arise due to bad minimization? Any suggestions please. If
> require I can paste the ligand co-ordinates.

Ligand coordinates will tell us nothing of use.  The topology is more
instructive, but in general go through:
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up#Diagnosing_an_Unstable_System

If your topology is straight from PRODRG, that's suspect #1 on my list.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore