[gmx-users] SETTLE vs. LINCS -- different final energies of energy minimized structures

Rakesh Sharan rs11chembhu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 16:49:00 CEST 2016

Thanks Justin and Mark!

I am sorry for not being clear. Actually I am taking configurations from an
equilibrated MD trajectory and minimizing these configuration using two
constraints -- LINCS and SETTLE. So, basically my initial starting
configuration is exactly same for each minimization (using SETTLE and
LINCS), but in few cases final energy of the minimized configurations are
different (in one case its -29146 and -29288 kj/mol) depending on the
choice of constraint algorithm used.

During energy minimization, for few configurations, in case of SETTLE I am
getting warning "Water molecule starting at atom 1893 can not be settled"
and in case of LINCS 4-5 warnings like "bonds that rotated more than 30
degrees" (runs are not crashing).

Mark, actually I am interested in the structural features of energy
minimized (or inherent) structures. This is the reason that I want to make
sure that I have properly energy minimized structures.

Best,
Rakesh

Rakesh S. Singh, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate,
Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering,
Princeton University,
Princeton, NJ 08544 (US).