[gmx-users] problem regarding cut-off and the PME grid spacing

Tuhin Samanta samantatuhin1991 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 09:32:12 CEST 2016

The topology file for my system --------- HOD System like that ---

#include "oplsaa.ff/forcefield.itp"

; Include hod topology
#include "hod.itp"

[ system ]
;Name
HOD

[ molecules ]
; Compound        #mols
HOD                    102

.mdp file is like that -----

(FOR Energy minimization)

; minim.mdp - used as input into grompp to generate em.tpr
; Parameters describing what to do, when to stop and what to save
integrator      = steep         ; Algorithm (steep = steepest descent
minimization)
emtol           = 0.1           ; Stop minimization when the maximum force
< 1000.0 kJ/mol/nm
emstep          = 0.01          ; Energy step size
nsteps          = 200000        ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps to
perform

; Parameters describing how to find the neighbors of each atom and how to
calculate the interactions
nstlist         = 1             ; Frequency to update the neighbor list and
long range forces
ns_type         = grid          ; Method to determine neighbor list
(simple, grid)
rlist           = 1.0           ; Cut-off for making neighbor list (short
range forces)
coulombtype     = PME           ; Treatment of long range electrostatic
interactions
rcoulomb        = 1.0           ; Short-range electrostatic cut-off
rvdw            = 1.0           ; Short-range Van der Waals cut-off
pbc             = xyz           ; Periodic Boundary Conditions (yes/no)
constraints     = none

For Equilibritaion (NVT)

title           =  NVT equilibration of W10 RM
cpp             = /lib/cpp
include         = -I../top
integrator      = md            ; leap-frog integrator
nsteps          = 500000       ; 2 * 10000 = 20 ns
dt              = 0.002         ; 2 fs
; Output control
nstxout         = 100          ; save coordinates every 0.1 ns
nstvout         = 100          ; save velocities every 0.1 ns
nstenergy       = 100         ; save energies every 0.1 ns
nstlog          = 100          ; update log file every 0.1 ns
; Bond parameters
continuation    = yes           ; continuation from previous run
constraint_algorithm = lincs    ; holonomic constraints
constraints     = none     ; all bonds (even heavy atom-H bonds) constrained
lincs_iter      = 1             ; accuracy of LINCS
lincs_order     = 4             ; also related to accuracy
; Neighborsearching
ns_type         = grid          ; search neighboring grid cells
nstlist         = 10             ; 10 fs
rlist           = 1.0           ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
rcoulomb        = 1.0           ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
rvdw            = 1.0           ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
; Electrostatics
coulombtype     = PME           ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range
electrostatics
pme_order       = 4             ; cubic interpolation
fourierspacing  = 0.16          ; grid spacing for FFT
optimize_fft    = yes
; Temperature coupling is on
tcoupl          = Berendsen     ; modified Berendsen thermostat
tc-grps         = System        ; two coupling groups - more accurate
tau_t           = 1.0           ; time constant, in ps
ref_t           = 300           ; reference temperature, one for each group
; Pressure coupling is off
pcoupl          = no            ; no pressure coupling in NVT
; Periodic boundary conditions
pbc             = xyz           ; 3-D PBC
; Dispersion correction
DispCorr        = EnerPres      ; account for cut-off vdW scheme
; Velocity generation
gen_vel         = yes           ; assign velocities from Maxwell
distribution

Please take a look . I am getting the error like that ------ 4 particles
communicated to PME node 4 are more than 2/3 times the cut-off out of the
domain decomposition cell of their charge group in dimension x. This
usually means that your system is not well equilibrated.

If you want I can send you my .itp file also.

Tuhin