[gmx-users] Moving this mailing list to Discourse format

Hannes Loeffler Hannes.Loeffler at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Apr 21 09:52:21 CEST 2016

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 07:11:42 +0000
Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi people,
>
> As part of the new BioExcel project (http://bioexcel.eu/) that
> supports biomolecular research with codes including GROMACS, we're
> exploring migrating the gmx-users mailing list to the Discourse
> format. You can see an example at http://try.discourse.org! This has
> a number of immediate advantages, including attachments, single-click
> sign-up, tagging, voting and contributing to old discussions. We
> might also integrate features like replying to threads via email, or
> real-time chat. We also know such a change might be something people
> don't like, and we would like to get a feel for that. The community
> should like its forum, after all! :-) So please let us know how you
> feel at http://goo.gl/forms/k8lhTliffO.

I think such a discussion would need a bit more space than just a few
pre-canned questions.

I am on various mailing lists and happy with my email client as a
central "collector" of all those discussions.  I am personally not fond
of another web page interface with its very own features, bells and
whistles and what not, but typically unlike any other existing one.
And this is in essence the major shortcoming unless it would be still
possible to receive all messages through a mailing list as it is now.

Cheers,
Hannes.