[gmx-users] Adapting metallic ions from AMBER to GROMACS

Pedro Lacerda pslacerda+gmx at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 22:30:30 CEST 2016

Hi Mark,

I starting converting from AMBER (according to the paper) to GROMACS and
comparing the results.

Please explain in more words what this constant of two mean or how can I
handle it. Ignoring it and just converting the units, I got these results

AMBER (table 2a)
Rmin/2 (Å) epsilon (kcal/mol)
Zn2+ 1.10E+00 1.25E-02
Mg2+ 7.93E-01 8.95E-01
Ca2+ 1.71E+00 4.60E-01
AMBER converted
R (nm) epsilon (kJ/mol)
Zn2+ 2.20E+01 5.23E-02
Mg2+ 1.59E+01 3.74E+00
Ca2+ 3.43E+01 1.92E+00

amber99sb-ildn.ff/ffnonbonded.itp
sigma (nm) epsilon (kJ/mol)
Zn2+ 1.96E-01 5.23E-02
Mg2+ 1.41E-01 3.74E+00
Ca2+ 3.40E-01 3.60E-01

I got exact matches for epsilon in Zn and Mg, but not for Ca.  Also the
difference on sigma was in the order Å/10, except for Zn which was
relatively significant.

(I'm expecting that Mailman render the table into plain text relatively
well, so if this post go with bad formatting I'll post again)

Very thanks
Pedro