[gmx-users] Adapting metallic ions from AMBER to GROMACS

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Apr 23 02:49:42 CEST 2016

On 4/22/16 8:40 PM, Pedro Lacerda wrote:
> Applying the same simple conversion to the vdw parameters for atoms Mg+2
> (id 46), Ca+2 (id 47), and Zn+2 (id 48) found in amber99.prm of the TINKER
> package, which is the base of Sorin parameters, there is agreement between
> Mg+2 and Zn+2.
>
> It looks like a bug in the L-J parameters of TINKER package for amber99*
> force fields. If it becomes confirmed, should I fill an issue at Redmine or
> request a code review?
>
> However I may be wrong...
>
> http://dasher.wustl.edu/tinker/distribution/params/amber99.prm

You're not looking at the right parameters.  What you've claimed to be Ca2+ from
ffnonbonded.itp is:

Ca2+ 3.40E-01 3.60E-01

But it's not.  The calcium atom type is C0 (see ions.itp):

C0          20      40.08    0.0000  A   3.05240e-01  1.92376e+00

If you run your conversion on the right parameters you will see it matches exactly.