[gmx-users] Graphene sheet topology

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Apr 24 13:58:49 CEST 2016

On 4/23/16 1:37 AM, soumadwip ghosh wrote:
> Hello all,
>               I am currently working on the interaction between a flat
> graphene sheet and nucleic acids at various physiological conditions. I am
> using CHARMM 27 force field and GROMACS 4.5.6 for MD simulations. Here is
> my work order
>
> 1. I created a graphene.top file according to the tutorial by Andrea Minoia.
> 2. I went upto NPT equilibration without any problem but my MDrun crashes
> printing the following error (I modified the .n2t and other CHARMM 27
> forcefield files according to the tutorial)
>
> Fatal error:
> 25 particles communicated to PME node 4 are more than 2/3 times the cut-off
> out of the domain decomposition cell of their charge group in dimension x.
> This usually means that your system is not well equilibrated.
>
>  From the mails in the mailing list I am assuming that my graphene topology
> has something terribly bad since I have worked with the particular nucleic
> acid in CHARMM27 and it does not have any issue. I am uploading the pdb and
> itp files of my graphene sheet followed by the md.mdp and md.log file. Any
> kind of help to troubleshoot this error would be greatly appreciated.
>
> pdb file of graphene:
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7SBnQ5YXQSLQWVod3psQTFwSzg
>
> graphene.itp: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7SBnQ5YXQSLTXlqci1aX3NzU3c
>
> the visualization of graphene.pdb:
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7SBnQ5YXQSLMExiSG5GR3VIMjA
>
> My md.mdp file:
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7SBnQ5YXQSLMmd1di1jbHpubFE
>
> the md.log file I obtained:
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7SBnQ5YXQSLdXZDZVNDOFJqVDg
>
> PS: I forgot to issue the -pbc while executing the g_x2top command and also
> did not change the dihedral function type from 1 to 3 as suggested in the
> tutorial. Can this be a reason for the above error to occur?

Your sheet appears to be periodic, so yes, you need to treat it as such (also by
adding "periodic_molecules = yes" in the .mdp file).  Otherwise, your atoms are
at very close distance at the box edges and things explode.

CHARMM uses periodic dihedrals, so the function type is 1 (though we usually use
9 because CHARMM often applies multiple terms to each dihedral).  But if you
only have one multiplicity per dihedral, type 1 is fine (and setting it to 9
would be equivalent in this case).

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629