[gmx-users] DSSP with custom residues

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Apr 26 15:13:07 CEST 2016

On 4/26/16 9:10 AM, leila salimi wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> I am also busy by DSSP analysis. I am interested to know what the
> difference between do_dssp and dssp is?

dssp is a binary that actually carries out the DSSP analysis; it is not a
GROMACS program but is downloaded from an external source.  do_dssp is a GROMACS
module that is just a wrapper - it runs through a trajectory, pulls out the
coordinates to a temporary file (those ddXXXX files that show up), passes those
coordinates to dssp, and records the output.  GROMACS doesn't do secondary
structure calculations natively, instead relying on dssp.

-Justin

> Regards,
> Leila
>
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 4/26/16 8:57 AM, Stephanie Jephthah wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I'm simulating a protein conjugate and thus uses custom residues. Is there
>>> any way to make the dssp program aware of the custom residues (and does it
>>> make sense to do so)? I'm using gromacs 4.6.7 and the "new" dssp. I'm
>>> assuming that the problem is not with do_dssp but with dssp, but please
>>> correct me if I'm wrong.
>>>

>> If you've got custom residues as integral parts of the protein, they need
>> to be defined as such in residuetypes.dat, or otherwise defined in a
>> suitable custom index group.  Presumably you have to have done one or the
>> other before running the simulation.  If the custom residues have normal
>> amino acid backbone features, doing DSSP analysis makes sense.  If
>> something is failing, run dssp directly, not via do_dssp, to determine if
>> the failure is within dssp or do_dssp.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.