[gmx-users] Constant Density

Smith, Micholas D. smithmd at ornl.gov
Tue Apr 26 18:00:51 CEST 2016

Hi Anthony,

One possible way I can think of to get the water to redistribute is to perform some temperature annealing of just the solvent, i.e. raise the temperature every so many steps to a max ~500K then quickly quench (lower the temperature) the solvent back to the physiological regime. Repeat this a few cycles to make sure you've redistributed the water as you expect. Just make sure to hold the protein fixed with restraints. After it has done a few cycles (maybe 5 or so), try running with NVT at the proper temperature for both protein+solvent (typical NVT simulation). You should note that the water will not remain "uniformly" distributed; though, as it will tend toward its equilibrium values so your system should be considered non-equilibrium MD (thought the extent of how long it takes to relax to the standard state, may allow you to approximate it as quasi-equilibrium)

There may be other ways to do this as well.

-Micholas