[gmx-users] Implicit and Explicit solvation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Dec 26 21:50:28 CET 2016

On 12/23/16 10:22 PM, Syed Azeem wrote:
> Thanks Tyugashev for your response.
>
> It was a reviewer suggestion to run our protein-peptide docked complex
> in a continuum solvent and compute their free energies of association.
> After this, I came across MMPBSA
> and its GROMACS tool g_mmpbsa.
>
> Is this not based on Implicit solvation? How can I perform it to
> validate my docking?

MM/PBSA is a post-processing (analysis) method in which you provide existing
snapshots and the MM energy is combined with a PBSA estimate of solvation free
energy to give the free energy of the system.  The (unofficial) g_mmpbsa tool
does this.  It does not require additional simulations.

-Justin

> Thanks in advance
>
> Azeem
>
>> From: Timofey Tyugashev <tyugashev at niboch.nsc.ru>
>> To: gromacs.org_gmx-users at maillist.sys.kth.se
>> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Implicit and Explicit solvation
>>
>> Implicit solvation treats solvent as a continuous medium (a kind of
>> modifier for , while explicit one treats it as a set of explicit
>> (surprise!) particles. I guess you can start reading from relevant
>> Wikipedia articles.
>> Implicit is way faster to compute, the system itself also settles far
>> quicker, but it's considered more inaccurate and harder to optimize for
>> GPU. It's also possible to have a hybrid approach, when the whole system
>> is solvated implicitly, but select solvent molecules are explicitly
>> included in the model.
>>
>> In GROMACS implicit solvent is depreciated, so you should either use
>> explicit solvent, or pick a different MD engine if you want implicit.
>> 23.12.2016 18:00, gromacs.org_gmx-users-request at maillist.sys.kth.se ?????:
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 16:25:33 +0530
>> From: Syed Azeem<syedazeemullah186 at gmail.com>
>> To: "gromacs.org_gmx-users"
>>       <gromacs.org_gmx-users at maillist.sys.kth.se>
>> Subject: [gmx-users] Implicit and Explicit solvation
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> What's the difference between Implicit and Explicit solvation?
>> Is there any difference in setting up the system for simulation?
>> Which is computationally effiecient?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Azeem

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences