[gmx-users] Laptop features for MD simulations - recommendations

João Henriques joao.henriques.32353 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 13:24:44 CET 2016

Well, in that case Dries has already answered your question.

In sum, any laptop will do as long as it is equipped with a decent GPU. The
GPU is probably more important than the CPU and RAM. There are several
benchmarks by NVIDIA for GPU performance with Gromacs. If you ask them,
they'll probably try to "sell" you their high-end products, but there's
been several demonstrations that cheaper GPUs perform almost as well. For
example, I clearly remember Erik Lindahl at one of those NVIDIA online
presentations showing that an inexpensive GTX did almost as well as a much
more expensive K20. NVIDIA's host probably wasn't very pleased with it.

Moreover, even if money is not an issue, power supply and actual space to
fit the parts are big problems on a laptop. I mean, don't expect to be able
to fit and feed two 10-core Intel E5-2650v3 2.3 GHz CPUs, 64 Gb RAM, 2 TB
disk and two NVIDIA K80's on a 13 inch notebook case :)

Best regards,
João