[gmx-users] Fwd: FW: PME settings in free energy calculations

Michael Shirts mrshirts at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 00:56:31 CET 2016

Hi, Dries-

Questions like this are probably best answered on the gmx-users list.
I can't say too much for the Verlet scheme -- I know that it was
relatively recently adapted for free energies, and there may be some
combinations of settings that could give unanticipated results.

Pretty much all of our experience about nonbonded calculations and
free energies is collected in the following paper:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct4005068. We used the group
cutoff scheme since that was the only one that was supported in
GROMACS at the time.

Since you haven't sent any files, it's hard to tell what is actually
going on. The one thing that has a tendency to happen with the more
recent update schemes is if you set a potential modifier that is a
switch, but don't set the distance the switch starts at, then it is
automatically set to zero.  Check the mdout.mdp to see if this is
happening.