[gmx-users] add parameter

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Feb 12 02:43:03 CET 2016

On 2/11/16 12:03 PM, Malihe Hasanzadeh wrote:
> Hi
> I have three water molecules and one new residue that I want to add their
> parameters to force field Amber99sb. One of water molecules has only one
> hydrogen, and since I want to prevent from replacing with SOL in solvation
> step, So I define them as new residue in .rtp file:
>
> [ INN ]
>   [ atoms ]
>     H1    H           0.384620     1
>      O    O          -0.671930     2
>     H2    H           0.384620     3
>

> [ INT ]
>   [ atoms ]
>     H1    H           0.286310     1
>      O    O          -0.341910     2
>     H2    H           0.286310     3
>

> [ INB ]
>   [ atoms ]
>     H1    H           0.477860     1
>      O    O          -1.092580     2
> Also define them in .dat file as Protein  and in .hdb file as below:

Defining these residues as protein is not necessary.

> INN    2
> 1    7    H1    O
> 1    7    H2    O
> INT    2
> 1    7    H1    O
> 1    7    H2    O
> INB    1
> 1    7    H1    O
>
> But when I start MD simulation(gromacs 5.0.4) in step of mdrun ...em,
> gives segmentation fault! when I remove their parameters in .hdb file, it
> is done but without any hydrogen for them, just three oxygen atoms in
> em.gro!

This is because you would have had to invoke -missing with pdb2gmx and yield
something totally useless.

Immediate seg faults are indicative of complete instability.  Note that none of
your .rtp entries have [bonds] defined, so you probably just have particles very
close to one another (e.g. as they would be in a real molecule) but no covalent
attachment, so they likely just fly apart.

> Also I have another problem with that new residue, this residue is like a
> Lys but has two carbonyl groups binded to extra carbon instead of amino
> group in Lys. So I used Lys parameters for that and add some bonds and
> atoms to it:
>
> [ NEW ] ;
>   [ atoms ]
>      N       N
>      H       H
>     CA       CT
>     HA        H1
>     CB       CT
>    HB1       HC
>    HB2       HC
>     CG      CT
>    HG1      H
>    HG2      H
>     CD      CT
>    HD1      HC
>    HD2      HC
>     CE      CT
>    HE1      HP
>    HE2      HP
>     NZ      N
>     HZ      H
>     CX      C
>    OQ1     O
>    OQ2     O
>      C      C
>      O      O
>   [ bonds ]
>       N     H
>       N    CA
>      CA    HA
>      CA    CB
>      CA     C
>      CB   HB1
>      CB   HB2
>      CB    CG
>      CG   HG1
>      CG   HG2
>      CG    CD
>      CD   HD1
>      CD   HD2
>      CD    CE
>      CE   HE1
>      CE   HE2
>      CE    NZ
>      NZ    HZ
>      NZ    CX
>       C     O
>      CX   OQ1
>      CX   OQ2
>   [ impropers ]
>      -C    CA     N     H
>      CA    +N     C     O
> when I added only atoms parameters in .rtp file, finally in em.gro file
> there wasn't any bond between atoms of new residue and when I added bond

As you should expect.  See above.  [bonds] is a mandatory directive (which is
also stated clearly in the manual).

> parameters also, in grompp gives 10 error about "default angel and
> dihedral"! I find the number of angels in .top file and added them to
> ffbonded.itp, but anything have no change.

You're adding moieties that don't exist in the force field, unless you have
parameters from some external source (e.g. something published or otherwise
available in a force field repository).

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629