[gmx-users] NPT equilibration with small cell

André Farias de Moura moura at ufscar.br
Wed Feb 17 13:47:57 CET 2016

maybe just a historical curiosity, but small systems with only 100
molecules or so and cutoffs of 0.7 nm were considered as best practices,
maybe even state-of-art, in computer simulations of liquids:

J. Chem. Phys. 79, 926 (1983); http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.445869

nowadays you have to use systems like those for your AIMD for the same
reasons they had too back in the day: not enough computer power to treat
the system of the size you would like to.

so I would do just like Vitaly suggested: classical MD with small
system/small cutoffs, DFT geometry optimization and then your goal, the
AIMD simulation.

Andre

Prof. Dr. André Farias de Moura
Department of Chemistry